Greek Christmas Cookies
Melomakarona is a traditional Greek Christmas cookies recipe that you must absolutely taste!
"Aromas of honey will spread into the house,
Christmas mood is all around,
The perfect recipe easy to take,
For a cozy afternoon coffee break!"
Ingredients mixture 1 :
400gr of fresh orange juice
400gr of Virgilliant Silky Extra Virgin Olive Oil
50gr of brown powdered sugar
1/2 tea spoon of clove
3 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
1 teaspoon of baking soda
grated orange (from 2 oranges)
Ingredients mixture 2 :
-1kg of wholegrain flour
-200gr of semolina
Ingredients for the syrup:
500gr of water
800gr brown sugar
3 cinnamon sticks
-1 orange cut in two pieces
-200gr of honey
Step by step…
1. Place all the syrup ingredients, except of the honey, in a pot and boil for about 5 minutes, in order sugar to be melted.
2. Remove the pot from fire and add the honey.
3. We apply that stage 3 hours before we start with the dough, in order our syrup to chill.
4. Preheat the electric stove applying temperature of 200 degrees.
5. Put all the mixture 1 ingredients in a bowl and mix well with a blender.
6. After that, add the mixture 2 ingredients into the bowl and mix, just in order to make your dough uniform.
7. Form the cookies in small size (about 25gr each one) and bake for about 20-25 minutes until our cookies are starting to change color.
8. Take out the cookies and immediately put them one by one into the syrup, for about 10 seconds each one.
9. When finish the whole procedure add grated walnuts in the top.